Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Raccoon Skin Hat......to be continued

For some silly reason I have always wanted a coon skin hat(like Davy Crockett) not that I would ever really wear it but I have always fancied them nonetheless. So last Saturday on his way to work, Dan saw a fresh road kill two houses down. Poor critter, she(I think?) was one messed up raccoon. He called me up and told me where to find it so I put on some gloves and went down to get it. I carried it back by it's tail and got lots of weird looks from people(especially that guy at the bus stop - he just couldn't stop pointing). Dan thought I should have bawled and made a scene: like it was my pet and "how did this happen?" - That could have been funny. But no I just tried to be as discreet as possible while gathering up the remains of a dead critter in the middle of a busy street. It was a very fresh kill, with her little raccoon feet still warm, and the head was total mush. So I called my mom to get some instructions for skinning it(she used to date a trapper so she is quite knowledgeable in this area). At first I was a bit queasy and whenever I pulled the tail I think it tooted because it would start to smell funny. So 2 hours later with cramps in my hands I had successfully removed it's pretty fur and tacked it to a board and salted it. Bellotti bunny has some nice fur too, hmmmmm maybe while I am at it.....just kidding.



2 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- so first of all your 8 facts- I loved it! I can't get over how you are allergic to animals- and you love animals so much! That is so hilarious! And I laughed about the knife part- are they 5 separate knives? or a swiss army with 5 in it? That is really funny. The rubbing eyes- I used to do that all the time.... because of allergies- but then i took pills for it- so I haven't in a long time- and I stopped taking them recently- cause I ran out- and I itched my eyes so much they were puffy and red- I totally know what you mean. OK now the Raccoon!- OH MY GOSH CARINA! YOU ARE SO HILARIOUS! I just can't get over- that you picked up road-kill. Mike and I went for a walk- and we passed a squirel- dead- and I felt sick the whole walk and coudnt' get the image out of my head- HOW ON EARTH DID YOU PICK IT UP- LOOK AT IT!- AND THEN- IF THAT"S NOT ENOUGH- SKIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must have a strong stomach! I think it's awesome that you did it and all that- but having to skin it and pick it up- OH MY GOSH I DON"T KNOW HOW YOU DID THAT!!!!!!- ok- but it looks so cool! And it makes me want to do it! It's so crazy how the skin is thick, or is it thick because it dried out for awhile? I don't know anything about that stuff. It's really cool looking- Is the fur nice? It looks nice in the picture- that is just too funny carina- so are you going to make a hat, or leave it how it is? I think it looks cool how it is!

Pharmcat66 said...

I was searching info on the Net refresh my skills and I ran across your blog.It's been since the first grade. I think what you did with the raccoon was really outgoing crazy and cool. I havent done that in a few years. 10 years later and I'm over run by them pesky kritters who are like little bears (brave, snarling, snapping and angry sounding). I live with my two daughters 3 & 5 and when I'm not home schooling them I am teaching them the basic skills of hunting and fishing. They are really into their coon skin caps. Just teaching our Native side of the family heritage. It keeps them out of the house away from the TV and computers which suck the life out of the storage batteries. I hope it hasn't warped them so bad that they'll never find a boy friend, or do I?. No not really. I'll send them to a public school where ever we move soon. I can afford It. Any ways your too cool. I'm a licensed pharmacist 4 days a week and a naturalist the rest of the time. That's an oxymoron in todays society.Naturalist and Pharamcies don't mix but I have the excellent income and the wild side mixed into one ball of wax. The animal furs and natural medicine cost me relation ships regularly. I Need to get a life out side of the pharmacy and barnie the dinosaur. Oh crap it sounds like I'm trying to hit on you.Sorry. What a dork. The best and smartest girls are always taken. If you want a coonskin hat then send your HAT measurements to michael.fox@usastreets.com and I'll send you a freeby or just contact me to brag or B.S. I'm legit and respectful, No funny stuff.
Later on you coon slayer.

P.S. If you can't respond tha's cool. If know any one else who would be interested shooting the wind with me of I would be open to conversing. No Gay dudes though!