Monday, October 6, 2008

Weekends go by too fast

On Saturday Dan & I did yard work(between torrential downpours). The dogs have been doing their best to turn our backyard into a mud pit so we got 2 pickup loads of gravel & spread it around. I discovered shoveling gravel while pregnant is alot harder to do. My abs are getting weak.
I made some zuccini chocolate chip cookies which were really good, but I couldn't get Dan to try them because they contained "nasty squash". I took some to the neighbors though & they concurred with me that they were tasty. I also cut up & cooked a turkey in my crock pot, which turned out much better than my previous attempts at oven-roasting a turkey. I'm not sure what I do wrong but by the time the internal temperature is good the drumsticks are always jerky. Ha! but not this time, not one bit of jerkified turkey.
We listened to Conference on Sunday from our internet & had a nice cozy fire. I love our woodstove. Last winter was our first with heat and is was SO nice. Our little house may be old & kinda decrepit but now at least it's warm & so much cheaper than other mortgages. We'll make due here, we don't need a nice new house. In these uncertain times it's nice to feel secure in our jobs, to have a home, to be out of debt & living within our means. I feel peaceful & comfortable. It's a good place to be.


What is this blurry foliage you are looking at? Ok so I just want to brag about my awesome shooting skills. Well, not awesome, but I did have some very good beginners luck. So Dan & I went shooting, or "plinking" as Dan calls it, this weekend up McGowen creek. I was practicing with a .22 rifle with a scope. I was doing really good hitting spent shotgun shells off an old shot-up TV we found that I decided it would be cool if I could cut down some blackberry "spines"(stems) with bullets. I used ALOT of bullets(good thing .22 rounds a cheap) but I was finally successful in taking down three blackberry stems in a row. Here is my camera-phone proof. I am especially pround of the middle one because it actually cut it clean off(instead of just making it snap over).

No comments: