Monday, January 12, 2009

Words


Ok so I know I have been posting lots of pictures & no words. Personally I'm more for pictures than words anyways but I suppose they can't say it all- all the time :)

I am doing great. Honestly I don't even feel as though I had a baby, physically that is. As my pregnancy went so ridiculously smooth, so did my delivery & so has my recovery. In total I gained 10lbs by the end and as of today I am down 25lbs from there. It's crazy! Breastfeeding is awesome. I didn't think I would like it but she is just so dang cute when she feeds I just want to feed her all the time, and it doesn't hurt anymore so that is definitely a plus.
Also I was afraid of the puking & pooping aspect, as I have a seriously wimpy gag reflex and have even been known to vomit at the sight(or thought) of vomit. But it has not been a problem at all. I'm changing those poopy diapers like a champ and haven't even gaged at my baby.
Sleeping is going good. Sometimes she takes awhile to fall asleep but then she will let me sleep a good 4 hours before wanting to eat again. However, I have had her sleeping in our bed since she was born & now I am trying to persuade her to sleep in her crib but it's not working. She will eat & fall asleep & I'll put her down & 5-10 minutes later she will wake up & realize she is alone & cry. I'll go pick her up & she'll want to eat again for a few until she falls asleep & I put her back in the crib. Repeated over & over & over again, which makes for none of us getting any sleep. I'm not sure what to do, am I just supposed to let her cry?

In summary. I LOVE being a mommy. It is so wonderful. It is so sweet to see Dan with her too. He tries to maintain his tough guy image but he is so cute & soft & squishy with her, it is so precious. I never imagined I could love my little person so much. I just want to hold her and kiss her and love her forever and ever. Kittens & puppies & baby squirrels got nothin' to my little Juliet.

13 comments:

kimmy said...

She is just too cute. Glad to hear everything is going so well.

Matt and Christy said...

I am glad to hear that everyone is healthy! One thing that worked for us when Elijah was little was to put my bra or shirt in his crib with him at night. He could smell me and that seemed to help him sleep. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I knew that you were going to be such a good mom. You are so cute with your little one.

Teresa said...

You sound AWESOME!! I am so glad things are going so well for you! I am super happy that the whole breast feeding thing is working so well too! People hav etold me let the baby cry for like 10 minutes and then go in and comfort her, don't pick her up, but comfort her. Then leave again and let her cry for like 15 minutes and then again at 20 minutes and then if all that doesn't work then pick her up and console her. Dave and I have tried this approach, we did 10 minutes and we went in and comforted her and she actually went back to sleep again. Anyway, that is one thing people have told us!

T

Brandi said...

I agree with putting something in her crib that smells like you, but at this point I wouldn't let her cry more than a few minutes. She is still in that stage where it is weird to not be in mommy's tummy. Is her crib in her room so she can hear/see you? That would help. I noticed with the boys just keeping them in their bed as long as possible helped. Stroking their head or back helped a lot. We got this baby positioner from Toys R Us that keeps the baby in a good position and makes a heartbeat sound when you turn it on. I don't know if Haylee will like it yet but maybe I will bring it over so Juliet can see if she likes it, then you guys can get her one LOL>

Margaret said...

My best advice is to follow your mommy instincts. They should steer you right. When the baby is little it is hard to get them in a perfect sleep routine.

When they are about 2 months, I highly recommend reading On Becoming Babywise by the Ezzos. It is the book that saved me with my last two and wish I had it with my first child. Basically, try to keep the baby awake when it is eating...tickle, change diaper between sides, whatever. Then keep it awake till they are tired (1 hour or 1 hour and a half depending on your baby). Then lay it down when it's sleepy and let them learn to soothe themselves to sleep. When they are little I would let them cry 5 minutes then come in and talk to them but not pick them up. And repeat till they fall asleep. The book is not for every mom but it fit me to a T.

Chad and Jessica said...

She's so beautiful. It's nice to hear how well things are going! You sound like a superstar mommy! Thanks for the update, it helps calm my nerves a little hearing that someone else's first baby is going well...it helps me to believe in myself. : )

Danielle said...

Wow! Congrats! She is sooo cute and I just love that head of hair! SO cute! I also love that name. How nice that everything went so well for you. Good luck with everything!!! Sounds like you're doing great!

Daniel and Tiffany Ward said...

Moms get so much advice, so you can take this or leave it... I was told that babies expect to wake up to what they fall asleep to. So if they fall asleep in your arms, and wake up not, then they will wake up even more trying to figure it out. Like a previous comment, I would suggest putting her down when she is sleepy but still a little awake. It'll take time, so be patient with whatever method you choose.

Glad to hear that you are feeling well, and that breastfeeding is going so well for you. Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

I completing agree with using Babywise by Ezzo. I have used it with our boys. It's all about creating a routine. Routine makes baby comfortable, they know what to expect. It also makes you feel more confident in what your doing. The basic routine is: feed, wake time, then sleep, repeat. Then at bedtime you feed and lay them down to sleep (skip the wake time) they will learn the difference and know what to do. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'd get the book and start reviewing it. The longer you wait to start the routines the harder they will be to implement - you'll find yourself RE-training Juliet which is harder than training (something that will be true from now on with everything).

So glad you are doing so well.

Sarah Peterson said...

in my sleep video I just watched they said you shouldn't start sleep 'training' until about 3-4 months.. I would try putting her in her crib for naps- when you have patience and energy to listen to a crying baby! I wouldn't let her cry for more then a few minutes though just 'cause they say at there little age they can't soothe themselves yet. Claire doesn't like to sleep in her little basenet either. grr- I understand- it is FRUSTRATING! But it works out eventually! We just have to be patient! I'm glad you are doing so well- you are a pro already!

Unknown said...

hmmmm, does she have a bubble? my advice is to not stress it too soon, they're only little for such a short time!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

That picture of her sleeping is precious! I so miss the newborn stage, even though it is so rough with the sleepless nights. I'm glad to hear you are doing well - and down 25lbs?! That's impressive!
I wouldn't start the 'let her cry' just yet, but if you can stand it, still keep moving her to her crib so she gets a little more used to the idea. Also, be sure she is tightly swaddled - sometimes that is the cure-all! (Sometimes.) :)